Who We Serve
The Army Distaff Foundation was founded in 1959 out of the growing concern to provide affordable housing to the widows of Army officers. Upon opening, eligibility was also extended to other female relatives of retired Army officers, not solely wives. Within a year, the Army Distaff Hall was filled to capacity. In 1989, eligibility for residency was extended to couples, retired male and female officers of all branches of the uniformed services and the name of the community was changed to Knollwood. In 2013, eligibility and admissions further grew to include the male family members of retired officers.